During the summer, less is more when it comes to make up, but that doesn’t mean you have to give up your favorite lip gloss. Here we’re sharing a few simple tips and quick fixes for pulling off a natural, effortless look all summer long.
Step 1. Moisturize
The summer heat can quickly dry your skin, so it’s important to stay hydrated. In addition to drinking lots of water, use a light weight moisturizer keep your skin soft and hydrated this summer. For a quick fix, use a moisturizer that also contains sunscreen to cover two steps in one. Want a little more coverage, try a tinted moisturizer like Tarte’s Amazonian Clay or Mary Kay’s Tinted Moisturizer with SPF 20. These are great for those times when you’ll be entertaining or going out, giving you just enough coverage to even out your skin tone without without being too heavy.
While we’re talking about moisture, remember your lips need moisture too. Before you apply your favorite color (see Step 5), use a moisturizing lip balm to lock in moisture with sunscreen so your lips look perfectly pouty. In fact, when you keep your lips moist and soft, you can avoid color altogether and opt for a clear gloss for a more natural look.
Step 2: Sunscreen
Even if your moisturizer contains sunscreen, it’s not a bad idea to use a separate sunscreen with a higher SPF for extra protection. Just make sure it’s safe for use on your face to avoid irritation. If you’re planning to be outside in the heat of the day, keep your sunscreen with you to reapply in case you sweat or get in the pool. Neutrogena, Kiehl’s, Peter Thomas Roth, Algenist, and Olay have great lightweight sunscreens that have high SPF that are great for your face. What you’re looking for is a sunscreen that is not sticky or greasy and dries quickly. If you’re going to wear foundation or concealer, you definitely want to make sure your sunscreen is not too heavy.
Step 3: Natural Glow
Your natural summer glow should be simple yet sophisticated. For a natural sun-kissed glow, brush on a lightweight powder-based bronzer, as the powder will not run or smear like liquid bronzers. With the right bronzer, you may not even need foundation for coverage. The natural shimmer in most bronzers could be just the coverage you need. Here’s how to choose the right color and apply your bronzer for a more natural look:
- Choose a bronzer that is at least 1 shade darker than your natural skin tone. You can go up to 3 times darker, but don’t go too dark or you’ll look like you’re trying too hard. Remember, we’re going for a natural look 🙂
- Apply the bronzer using a powder brush with a broad, round brush. Brush on the bronzer beginning across your temple, following the natural path downward from your forehead across your cheeks to your chin. Reapply to areas that may need a little “help” for a faux tan look.
- For a more contoured look, go one shade darker and brush just under your cheek bone, collar bone and chest area.
Want a full body natural glow? Look for tanning lotions and oils that give you a natural looking sunless tan. Just like your face, you’ll want to apply your sunscreen first to protect your skin.
Step 4: Waterproof Your Mascara
Now that you have applied the basics, it’s time to make your eyes stand out naturally with mascara. Mascara helps your eyes look more open and bright. It’s the best kept secret among minimalist make up wearers. Just a little mascara goes a long way, but for longer coverage when outdoors in the summer, use a waterproof mascara to prevent running and smearing.
And here’s a tip to prevent irritation from long-wear mascaras: Allure beauty director Patricia Tortolani recommends applying a clear mascara over your black or brown waterproof mascara to seal the color. The clear coat helps seal the mascara so it doesn’t run or get too dry.
You can also prevent eye irritation by removing the mascara with a good makeup remover.
These Waterproof Mascaras Look Promising For The Summer:
- L’Oreal Telescopic Explosion Waterproof Mascara
- Lancome Hypnose Waterproof Mascara
- CoverGirl LashBlast Fusion Water Resistant Mascara
Which mascara do you use? Feel free to share it in the comments so we can check it out too!
Step 5: Lip Colors For Summer
From Cosmopolitan to Glamour to Elle, here are this summer’s hottest lip colors:
- Hot Pinks: Fuchsias, magentas and deeper pinks are making a comeback this summer. Mac Cosmetics, Avon and even Revlon and have several shades of pink glosses that are sure to please.
- Oranges: Think coral, peach and melon colors to capture the essence of summer with shades of orange. Pair your orange pout with the right shade of bronzer for the perfect summer glow.
- Purples: Yes, you can pull off purple for your lips. The trick is to choose shades with a pink undertone – not blue. NARS’ Annees Folles Larger Than Life Lip Gloss and Sephora’s Rouge Infusion Lip Ink in No. 13 Plum Concentrate have it about right.
- Neutrals: Of course you can skip the color and go for a nude look. Look for a gloss that brings out your natural lip color or go for a more golden bronze look with shades of copper and bronze.
We love sharing beauty secrets among friends. Care to share your best tip for summer make up? Post it in the comment section below.